ผู้เขียน หัวข้อ: Jaguars finalizing deal with Urban Meyer plus bold NFL playoff predictions and r  (อ่าน 1372 ครั้ง)

ymakerpi8d

• บุคคลทั่วไป
Jaguars finalizing deal with Urban Meyer plus bold NFL playoff predictions and r
« เมื่อ: มิถุนายน 27, 2023, 07:36:25 pm »
I'm starting to think it might be time to start a separate newsletter and that's because I'm starting to feel like they're going to be making most of the headlines this offseason.Not only do they have the No. 1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, which we'll probably be talking about weekly once the playoffs end, but they're also on the verge of making a splash coaching hire. Apparently, the Jags are finalizing a deal with Urban Meyer, which means there's a chance that he could be officially hired by the time you read this.We'll definitely be covering Meyer today, but don't worry, this won't be a Jaguars-only newsletter, because I'm not sure anyone would read that, so I've also to sed in plenty of playoff talk. With that in mind, let's get to the rundown. As always, here's your weekly reminder to tell all your friends to sign up for the newsletter. All you have to do is .    1. Today's Show: Bold predictions for the playoffsEven though I completely whiffed on my bold predictions last week, Will Brinson still invited me back for another week of bold predictions. Last week, I predicted that the would beat the in the Nickelodeon game and I think we all know what happened there. I should be slimed for that prediction.  For this week's round of bold predictions, we made one prediction for each game.AFC divisional round bold predictionsBaltimore at Buffalo (Ryan Wilson prediction): . The NFL record for most touchdown catches in a playoff game is three, so this is an extra bold prediction from Ryan Wilson. That being said, Diggs did catch three TD pa ses in Week 16 and he tacked on another one against the last week, so I won't completely count him out here, but the only way it's going even have a remote chance of happening is if this game turns into a shootout.Cleveland at Kansas City (John Breech prediction):  . This prediction might seem crazy, but I could see one obvious situation where this happens: The Chiefs jump out to an early lead and then the Browns have to play catch up. We saw this last week in the Browns' win over the , a game where Pittsburgh out-gained Cleveland, despite losing 48-37.  NFC divisional round bold predictionsL.A. at Green Bay (Breech prediction): . These are called bold predictions for a reason and this one is extra bold. If Wolford and Goff can combine for just two TD pa ses, I think they have a chance here. There were only two games this season where Rodgers threw one or fewer TD pa Pierre Turgeon Men Jersey  ses and in both games, he was facing major pre sure, which is something the Rams can do thanks in large part to the fact that they have the human QB-destroyer known as .Tampa Bay at New Orleans (Wilson prediction):  . Brown has been on a roll over the past four weeks. Not only has he caught at least one touchdown pa s in each of his past four games, but he's also averaging 7.8 targets per game, which means Brady has been looking his way early and often. I'm not sure why Wilson is obse sed with making bold predictions about receivers catching touchdowns, but I think this one has a better chance of happening than the Diggs one.If you're wondering what Will Brinson did during the show, he was drinking brandy. Just kidding, he graded each of our predictions. If you want a total breakdown of our predictions along with Brinson's grades -- and trust Brendan Gallagher Women Jersey  me, you do -- you .  2. Jaguars land Urban MeyerI haven't been covering coaching interviews here in the newsletter because there are too many to keep track of, but I'll definitely be covering coaching hires and we're getting close to a big one, with the Jaguars with Urban Meyer.Although there are still six open coaching jobs in the NFL, I'm going to go ahead and say that this is going to end up being the most intriguing coaching hire of 2021. Putting Meyer in Jacksonville is going to be interesting and that's mostly because -- unlike the Jaguars -- he's been wildly succe sful at everything he's ever done, at least from a coaching stand point. From Bowling Green to Utah to Florida to Ohio State, Meyer has been nearly unbeatable as he's compiled a 187-32 record in 17 seasons while winning three national championships (two at Florida and one at Ohio State).Of course, being succe sful in college doesn't guarantee succe s in the NFL and if you need proof, just look at Nick Saban. Although he's arguably the most succe sful coach in college football history, he went just 15-17 during two NFL seasons with the . Steve Spurrier (12-20), Dennis Erickson (40-56), Butch Davis (24-34), Mike Riley (14-34) and Lane Kiffin (5-15) were also succe sful college coaches who couldn't cut it in the NFL, so there's no guarantee this gamble is going to work.  That being said, Meyer does have two big things working in his favor: He's going to have the top pick in the 2021 NFL Draft (Hello Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields) and the Jaguars are going to have the , which is a huge deal, since the cap will likely be staying the same or shrinking this year.There's been speculation that and although that sounds like a lot, it won't be surprising if the final number ends up being close to that. The Jaguars have made it clear that they want to win and it seems they're willing to pay whatever the price is to get the franchise turned around.Although this hiring seems like a home run, the Jaguars should have one concern with Meyer and that's the fact that he's stepped down from his past two jobs due to health i sues. With Meyer now 56, there's definitely some risk in giving him a long-term contract.   at what the Meyer hiring means in Jacksonville.In other hiring news, the have found their new general manager in Brad Holmes. The team with the Rams Director of College Scouting. The move benefits the Rams because it means they'll be getting an extra third-round pick in each of the next two drafts as part of the new NFL rule that rewards a team for losing a minority candidate to a coaching job or a GM job with another team.3. Five more bold predictions for the divisional roundAs you may or may not have noticed, we love making bold predictions here, which is why you're getting even more playoff bold predictions right now. This round of predictions isn't coming from me or Ryan Wilson though, this time you'll be getting them from Cody Benjamin, who somehow found time to write them on Wednesday even though he also had to take care of the newsletter because I decided to take the day off.   Here are Cody's five bold predictions for the divisional round:1.  upset 2.  scores three touchdowns against Chiefs3.  throws game-winning TD against Saints4.  retires after losing to 5. Rams bench in tight game against I think that fifth prediction might be my favorite and mostly because it's two predictions in one: Not only is Cody predicting that Goff will be benched, but he thinks the Packers-Rams game is going to be close. If you'd like to read Cody's explanation for each of his . 4. Ranking the best po sible Super Bowl matchupsWith eight teams still left in the NFL playoffs, that means there are a total of 16 Super Bowl matchups that are still po sible (It took me way more math than I care to admit to figure that out). With that in mind, Patrik Walker decided to rank the five sexiest po sible Super Doug Harvey Kids Jersey  Bowls that could still happen.  Let's check out Patrik's rankings: 1. Chiefs-Buccaneers2. Chiefs-Packers3. Bills-Packers4. Ravens-Packers5. Browns-SaintsThe top two are pretty obvious. I mean, I don't think anyone is going to complain if the final game is against Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes against Aaron Rodgers. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure my bo ses at CBS would be thrilled with either one of those games since the Super Bowl is on CBS this year.One game that didn't crack Patrik's top-five is Ravens-Rams. As a graduate of Miami of Ohio, I am morally obligated to be rooting for that Super Bowl since both coaches in that potential game (John Harbaugh and Sean McVay) graduated from Miami. Fun fact: Miami is the only college in America that has produced a Super Bowl-winning quarterback ( ) and two Super Bowl winning coaches (Harbaugh and Weeb Ewbank). Sorry, I got sidetracked there. If you'd like to .     5. AFC playoff quarterbacks are making history If you want to stump someone with some trivia this weekend, just ask them to name the oldest quarterback left in the AFC playoffs. Although Patrick Mahomes has been in the NFL the longest, he is not the oldest QB in the AFC and that's goes to , who will be 25 years, 278 days old when he faces the Chiefs on Sunday (Mahomes will be 25 years, 122 days).Here are a few interesting nuggets about the youth movement in the AFC:This year marks the first time ever that all four AFC starting quarterbacks are under the age of 26.With three quarterbacks from the draft cla s of 2018 starting this weekend in Mayfield, and , it will mark just the second-time in NFL history that one draft cla s has produced three divisional round starting quarterbacks in the same year. The only other time it happened came in 2008, when three quarterbacks from the cla s of 2004 also started in the divisional round ( , , Ben Roethlisberger).The Bills and Ravens game will mark just the fourth-time ever that two quarterbacks under the age of 25 have met in the divisional round. The only other times it happened came in 1985 (Dan Marino vs. Bernie Kosar), 2000 (Daunte Culpepper vs. Aaron Brooks) and 2019  Brandon Davidson Jersey (Mahomes vs. ).The fact that the AFC quarterbacks are so young is definitely more notable since three of the four starting quarterbacks in the NFC are 37 or older (Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Drew Brees).   6. Steelers are in the market for an offensive coordinatorIt's not often that a 12-4 team decides to part ways with their offensive coordinator, but that's exactly what the Steelers will be doing this offseason after the team announced on Thursday that they will not be renewing Randy Fichtner's contract.  Here's why this is an interesting move and why the Steelers likely felt they had to make it:Tomlin's right-hand man. Fichtner had been in Pittsburgh since Mike Tomlin was hired in 2007. After originally being hired as a receivers coach, Fichtner climbed his way of the ladder, moving from receivers to quarterbacks coach in 2010 before eventually being named offensive coordinator in 2018. If Tomlin is letting him go after 14 seasons, that feels like a seismic shift in Pittsburgh.Steelers struggled on the ground. Over the past three seasons, the Steelers finished 31st (2018), 29th (2019) and 32nd (2020) in the NFL in rushing and that's just not going to cut it in Pittsburgh. If the Steelers had won a few playoff games, Tomlin likely would have tolerated the struggles, but with the ground game basically dead, Tomlin clearly felt it was time to make a change.Fichtner was tight with Big Ben. One thing that's still unclear about the Steelers' future is whether Ben Roethlisberger is going to return in 2021. The QB was tight with Fichtner and it will be interesting to see if this move has any bearing on his decision.For more on the Steelers' decision, .7. The Kicker!The kicker meltdown rankings are back for another week. During the wild-card round, two of the four kickers on the list ended up mi sing a field goal. This week, we're working with fewer teams, so the list has been trimmed from four kickers to three. The divisional round has been brutal for kickers over the past few years as they've hit just 69.2% of their field goals from 45 or longer since 2015.With Shea Weber Men Jersey  the in mind, here's this week's "Most likely to struggle" rankings:1. Will Lutz:Lutz is normally one of the most reliable kickers in the NFL, but he's fallen apart over the past few weeks. In the past three one-score games the Saints have played, Lutz has gone an ugly 4 of 8 on field goals. He also mi sed a field goal in the wild-card round against the Bears.2. : In the kicking department, the biggest winner of the wild-card round was Cody Parkey and that's because he didn't face a single pre sure kick during Cleveland's win over the Steelers. Of course, we all know what happened the last time he faced a pre sure kick in the playoffs: He mi sed on a double-doink. Although he's been good this year, he's on this list because we still have no idea what his state of mind is going to be the first time he walks out to attempt a pre sure-filled field goal in the playoffs. Also, in the past five games played at Arrowhead Stadium, opposing kickers have hit just 50% of their field goals (5 of 10). Yikes.3. : The Rams kicker had ice in his veins during the wild-card round, which is good news for him, because there's going to be even more pre sure on him during the divisional round. In 24 career games, Gay has only played in one game where the kickoff temperature was below 45 degrees. The temperature in Green Bay is expected to be around 30 degrees at kickoff on Saturday. It's not easy to kick in the cold and it's definitely not easy to kick at Lambeau, so Gay will be someone to keep an eye on this weekend.My meltdown rankings should also include me because I had an internal meltdown for my birthday on Wednesday knowing that I took one step closer to 40. I think this means I'm just a few years away from a mid-life crisis. Click here Click here Click here